Now Recruiting for a Food Scientist
The Wheat Marketing Center (WMC) is searching for a strong researcher to join the technical team as a Food Scientist. The Food Scientist will have the opportunity to work with a team of internationally recognized experts in wheat, milling, flour, and end product quality to deliver research and technical courses to stakeholders around the world using state-of-the-art analytical equipment and pilot scale production lines.
Interested parties should review the qualifications below and submit a CV and cover letter highlighting the experience and value they would bring to the technical team to Brent Haugen at email@example.com.
WMC, located in the historic Albers Mill Building in Portland, OR, is a non-profit that acts as a bridge between wheat growers and customers. WMC is a technical crossroads of the wheat world linking wheat producers, consumers, millers and end product manufacturers. WMC focuses on promoting U.S. wheat by demonstrating its quality and functionality in end products, including Asian noodles, crackers and biscuits, tortillas and flatbread, and many other baked goods. Pilot scale production lines, state-of-the-art quality testing equipment, and internationally recognized technical expertise provide great value to our state wheat commission partners, wheat industry stakeholders, consumers, and milling and food manufacturers around the world.
About the Position
The Food Scientist is a key part of the technical team that delivers the wheat research and technical education program at the Wheat Marketing Center. S/he is responsible for organizing and planning research activities (in cooperation with the Technical Director), conducting laboratory work for research projects, communicating with team members and customers as needed, and assisting in the delivery of course curriculum. S/he works closely with the Technical Director to develop and design research projects to meet the needs of customers and address market needs and/or opportunities.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Research – Plan and conduct projects on a range of wheat flour based products
- Propose research ideas and assist the Technical Director in the development of research proposals and grant applications
- Plan and conduct experiments; record and analyze data
- Present results to supervisor, board of directors, visitors, and technical conferences
- Write research papers, reports, reviews and summaries
- Demonstrate pilot scale equipment and testing procedures
- Supervise lab technicians and research assistants
- Organize product/materials testing
- Develop original solutions to problems
- Keep up to date with relevant scientific and technical developments
Technical Courses – Provide support for current and new technical short courses
Consulting – Depending on expertise, provide technical consulting to customers at WMC and at customers’ facilities
Qualifications and Skills Required
- PhD degree in Food Science, Cereal Science, or equivalent experience
- Excellent writing skills for scientific publications, reports and grant proposals
- Knowledge of wheat quality testing and improving quality in end products
- A minimum of 3 years of relevant research or industry experience
- A minimum of 4 scientific publications
- Excellent written, oral communication and presentation skills
- Knowledge of experimental design and statistics software
- Excellent analytical skills
- Ability to communicate with groups of varying backgrounds and cultures
- Bilingual skills a plus
Other Position Requirements
- Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends, and travel as needed
- Research team management
- Teamwork and interpersonal skills
- Strong physical demands; must be able to lift 50 lbs or more and stand for an extended period of time
- A valid driver’s license
- No wheat or flour allergies
WMC is an Equal Opportunity organization and welcomes diverse backgrounds. WMC offers a competitive benefits package; compensation is commensurate with experience and skill level. For more information, see www.wmcinc.org.