Crop Quality Internship
Now Recruiting for 2019
Wheat Marketing Center offers a summer internship to help analyze the annual wheat crop. This internship is beneficial for someone who is looking at a career in agriculture, food science and/or research and development. The successful applicant can expect to gain experience in all aspects of the multifaceted wheat crop quality project that analyzes the PNW wheat crop each year, including preparation and testing of wheat, flour and end-product quality. In addition to being a part of the crop quality team, the intern may provide support for the technical short courses and tours provided for farmers, customers and visitors from around the world.
- Daily test preparation and wheat testing
- Entering data into spreadsheets
- Repetitive testing
- Precise and accurate handling of data and wheat samples
- Standing for long periods of time in a laboratory
- Ability to lift 50lbs
- No wheat or flour allergies
- Enrolled in a Science, Food Science/Agriculture program
- College Junior level or higher undergraduate or graduate student
- Previous laboratory experience preferred but not required
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Must be reliable and prompt
- Strong work ethic
- Ability to work in a team as well as work alone without supervision
Interns are responsible for all living costs while in Portland, OR including housing, food and transportation. WMC is situated downtown on the waterfront and is accessible by public transportation. Interns are expected to work Monday thru Friday 7:30am to 4:00pm, with some overtime possible. The time period is from July to the end of September. This position is temporary and does not include employee benefits, except as required by law. All WMC employees are “at will.”
Recruitment of this position begins each year in March, but applications are always accepted. If interested in applying for WMC’s Summer Internship, please submit:
- A current resume including any organizational affiliations, work experience, awards, honors, education, etc.
- Two letters of recommendation from professors or employers
- A cover letter explaining how this internship fits with your future professional plans
- Official university/college transcripts, both undergraduate and graduate if applicable
Application materials should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Wheat Marketing Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All employment decisions are made in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws and without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, gender, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, handicap, military or veteran status or any other legally protected status.
For more information on the Wheat Marketing Center, visit www.wmcinc.org.